Strain and Strain Types
- It is the ratio of change in the configuration, within the elastic limit, of a body to its original configuration is called Strain.
- It is dimensionless quantity.
- Longitudinal/ Tensile/ Linear Strain
- Shear Strain
- Volumetric Strain
- The ratio of the change in length to the original length (within elastic limit).
L. Strain- ΔL/L
Where ‘ΔL’ is the change in length
& ‘L’ is the original length
- It is a relative displacement between two layers.
Shear Strain= tanθ≈ θ
Bulk or Volumetric Strain
- The ratio of change in volume to the original volume (within elastic limit).
Where ‘ΔV’ is the change in volume
& ‘V’ is the original volume
Based on the above types of Strains, there are three types of “Modulus of Elasticity”.