Solid Friction and Viscosity Similarities & Dissimilarities
- Viscous force is directly proportional to the relative velocity of the layers of liquid under consideration whereas Solid Friction is independent of the relative velocity of bodies in contact.
- Viscosity is proportional to the surface area of contact of liquid layers whereas Solid friction is independent of the area of surfaces in contact.
- Viscosity does not depend on the normal reaction between the two layers in contact but Solid Friction does.
- Both oppose the motion.
- Both acts tangentially in an opposite direction of motion.
- The result of intermolecular forces. Both oppose the motion.
Read More- Basics of Hydro-Statics
Read More- Degrees of Freedom?
Read More- Download GATE Handwritten Note
Fluid Mechanics Notes Page – Click Here