There are certain rights that are given to every Indian. These rights are called Fundamental Rights.
Our constitution has granted us six Fundamental Rights.
Right to Equality- All Indians are equal before the law
Right to Freedom- Indians have freedom of speech, assembly, movement, association, residence, trade, and business.
Right against Exploitation- This right ensures safety against any kind of exploitation.
Right to Freedom of Religion- all persons are free to follow, preach, and practice any religion.
Cultural and Educational Rights- It preserves the rights of any section of citizens to conserve their culture, language or script, and it also preserves right of minorities to establish and administer educational institutions of their choice.
Right to Constitutional Remedies- This right is called the heart and soul of our constitution. This right protects all are fundamental rights.
Apart from the fundamental rights given by the constitution of India, our constitution had also given us a set of duties which we all Indians must follow or perform. These are called the Fundamental Duties.
Some of the important Fundamental Duties are as follows-
- We should help to keep the country united.
- All the citizens should be treated equally.
- We should respect our constitution and its principles.
- Every Indian should respect the National Flag and the National Anthem.
- We must take care of the environment.
- We must take care of the public property
- We should not harm anyone.
- Everyone must help the government when the country is in danger.
The constitution of India has some guidelines for the Government and these are Directive principles.
The constitution wants the government to make sure that-
- The rich do not exploit the poor. Everyone has a job.
- There should be good living conditions for the people with all the basic facilities like food shelter and medical care.
- Every child gets compulsory education up to 14 years of age.
- The constitution of India has been thoroughly formulated keeping in mind the welfare of all the people.
- The interest of people belonging to Scheduled Caste Scheduled Tribes and other backward classes should be protected.
- We the citizens of India should respect and follow our constitution.
- President of India is the constitutional head of the country.
- Republic means a country that is governed by the government elected by the people and where there is no king or queen.
- Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was the chief architect of the Indian Constitution. Dr. B. R. Ambedkar was honored with Bharat Ratna Award for his remarkable work against untouchability
- The Constitution was originally written in English language and the official Hindi translation is also available.
- Secularism means people are free to practice any religion of their choice. Socialism means that all people should be treated equally. People will not be discriminated on the grounds of caste, color or religion.
- The constitution of India is the longest written constitution in the world.
- The set of rules and laws by which the government can govern the country is called a constitution.