Degrees of freedom?
- The total number of possible independent ways which define the position and configuration of a mechanical system.
- The total number of independent ways a particle can exchange energy.
Degrees of Freedom (f) for a Rigid Body
- A rigid body has got six (6) D.O.F, namely 3 translational (X-axis, Y-axis and Z-axis) and 3 rotational (each axis).
Degrees of Freedom (f) of a Gases
- Vibrational Degree of Freedom – (3N – (Translatory + Rotational))
- CV = ftransR/2 + fvibR/2 + frotR/2
NOTE- Heat capacity of mono-atomic gases (inert gases) has only translational D.O.F. so its heat capacity is minimum.