- Gautama Buddha is also known with his names like Siddhartha, Sakyamuni and Tathagata.
- He was born in the year 563 BC (widely accepted on).
- He was born on the Vaisakha Purnima day at Lumbini, near Kapilvastu, the capital of the Sakya republic.
- He left home at the age of 29 which is called Mahabhinishkaramn.
- He attained Nirvana at the age of 35 on the bank of Niranjana River at Bodh Gaya, India. This is called Sambodhi.
- His first sermon was delivered at Sarnath.
- His first teacher was Alar Kalam Sankhya.
- His Fist female pupil was Gautami Prajapati.
- Gautam Buddha attained Mahaparinirvana at Kusinara in 483 BC.
Doctrine of Buddha
Four Noble Truth
- Dukkha- Life is full of Sorrow
- Dukkha Samudaya- Causes of Sorrow
- Dukkha Nirodh- It can be stopped.
- Dukkha Nirodh Gamini Pratipoda- Following Eight folded Path.
Eight Folded Path
- Right Understanding
- Right Speech
- Right Livelihood
- Right Mindfulness
- Right Thoughts
- Right Action
- Right Efforts
- Right Concentration
After the death of Gautam Buddha, a meeting was called by Ajatshatru called Council (Sangiti) for compiling the sayings and teachings of Gautama Buddha.
Buddhist Councils (Sangiti)
|Kalashoka||Vaishali||Sabakami||Buddhism divided into 2 parts.
|Ashok||Patliputra||Mogalipottas||One Book called Abhiddhamapitak|
V. President- Ashwa Ghosh
7th Century AD
- Vinay means discipline.
- Pitak means basket.
- Sutta means Knowledge.
- Ashoka gave three gems (Ratnas)
- Abhiddhamapitak is a philosophy book to make Buddhism more understanding.
- Hinayana believed that Buddha was a normal man, not to be considered as god. (Laughing Buddha)
- The concept of the temple was brought by Mahayana, and considered Buddha as a god, so started constructing temples.
- Its followers believed in the original teachings of Buddha.
- They did not believe in idol worship.
- Hinayana believed in Karma, taking the place of God.
- They sought individual salvation through self-discipline and meditation.
- They sought the salvation through the grace and help of Buddha and Bodhisattvas.
- The followers believed in idol-worships.
- Mahayana had two chief philosophical schools : the Madhyamika and the Yogacharya
5 great events of Gautama Buddha’s Life and their Symbols-
- Birth : Lotus and Bull
- Great Renunciation : Horse
- Nirvana : Bodhi Tree
- First Sermon : Dharamachakra or Wheel
- Parinirana or Death : Stupa
- For More History Notes – Click Here
Next Page – Jainism Notes