Elasticity and Elasticity Types
Modulus of Elasticity
- Ratio of the Stress to the Strain, within elastic limit (Hooke’s Law) is a constant called Modulus of Elasticity or Coefficient of Elasticity.
Modulus of Elasticity Types
- Young’s Modulus of Elasticity (E)
- Shear Modulus or Modulus of Rigidity (G)
- Bulk Modulus of Elasticity (K)
Young’s Modulus of Elasticity (E)
- It is the ratio of Longitudinal Stress to the Longitudinal Strain, within elastic limit.
E= L. Stress/L. Strain
Modulus of Rigidity (G)
- Ratio of Shear Stress to the Shear Strain, within elastic limit.
G= Shear Stress/Shear Strain
Bulk Modulus (K)
Ratio of Volumetric Stress to Volumetric Strain, within elastic limit.
K= Vol. Stress/Vol. Strain
Relationships between E, G and K
- E= 2G(1+μ)
- E= 3K(1-2μ) Here ‘μ’ is Poisson’s Ratio
- E= (9KG) / (3K+G)